Saturday 10 August 2013

New Waders, New Tactics and Home Tied Flys!

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I last updated my Blog, I have been out fishing since then but sadly there was nothing to report.

This morning I headed up to Allensford, With new Flies tyed and my new purchase (Sonik SK4 Waders) made me even more eager for a few casts! The weather report suggested it was going to be a Sunny day and I was expecting the place to be really busy with dog walkers and children, Well within there rights of course but they can be a Fishermans nightmare, Throwing in stones and sticks encouraging there dogs to have a swim! But anyway, I made it to the bank side, It was cloudy but it was warm, I could hear a few coughs and smell smoke!, I spotted a fellow Angler, I made my way over and tried to start a conversation, I am the type of man who will speak to anybody for hours on end, Sadly this Angler was not. I got a Hello and then he sharp left.


I headed up to the first pool, I have been practicing my fly tying and I couldn't wait to give my fly a go! It was Olive Hackle with Dark Green dubbing with a hint of sparkle tied onto a #14 hook.
 My first cast! I hooked and landed this little beauty!

After catching this beauty I had a few more casts in this first pool but there was nothing rising.

I decided to try another fly that I tied, Unfortunately I did not take any photo's of that one. Upon casting I seen a Silver glimmer coming up towards my fly, It stopped and glanced up at my fly and turned around! The cheeky git!.


I headed further up stream, Stopping at certain spots for a few casts but there was no movement.





I changed my fly and put back on my Olive Dry Fly on which I caught the first fish on, Placing that gently on the waters surface at the biggest and last pool, I seen the Silver glimmers yet again, But this time the fish went for it, I Hooked and landed another!.

After catching these two I decided to head over to Shotley Bridge as it has been a while since I have been there, Walking over the footbridge near where I parked I glanced over to the right, Downstream and I seen a fish rise but I headed upstream past the Weir.

I found an opening, I tried to gently place my feet into the water without making a splash, This did not happen, The drop was much bigger than what I thought, I slipped and caused a huge splash, Typical.

I waited 10-15mins for the water to settle a little, I thought id have a few casts upstream. Still using my Dark Olive Dry Fly, Out of nowhere a fish came shooting up and grabbed my fly, I striked and hooked, I was overjoyed because iv had a lot of trouble hooking fish recently.












I carried on adventuring further upstream with a surge of confidence in my stride!, Not even the wild overgrowth could slow me down!





A splash broke the silence to my left, I crunched threw the overgrowth marching towards the River, I could still see ripples from the rise, Just as I unhooked my fly from above the handle on my rod I heard another splash, It was in a similar place so I presumed it was the same fish, Gently side casting and roll casting trying my best not to get tangled in a tree, This trout was definatly not interested in what I had to offer, I was outclassed, I tried and tried for around 45mins as it kept rising, teasing me just before I decided to call it a day.



I have had another great morning on the River Derwent, Catching fish on your own tied fly's makes it so much better!, I mentioned in the Title of this post "New Tactics", This is knowledge I learnt from NortheastFlyFisherman, To cut it short the tips are to always cast Upstream if possible and even if fish arnt rising they might if they see your fly, I used these tactics and they worked a treat, I am enjoying my fishing much more using these methods, Its much more fun than sitting around all day waiting for a fish to rise!

Thank you for reading, Keep a close eye for more updates!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment