Friday 14 June 2013

River Derwent (Eddys Bridge)

Having read alot of reviews on this stretch of the River Derwent (Near Derwent Resevoir) And having taken alot of advice off some brilliant friends I have met from fishing I decided to have a blast today!

The weather forecast didnt look too great but upon wakening from my nightshift at 2pm it was a glorious day. I noticed the postman had been with my new 9' Tapered Leaders (5X) and a few new flies! Including the essential! GINK!

Everything was looking good for me today, I had a nice drive up towards the resevoir following directions and my map. I managed to find "Eddys Bridge" the only problem was the parking! I ended up parking near a farmers gate, I didnt think he would mind, But on returning to the car there was a nasty message on my windscreen, But nevertheless I caught up with him and I apologized and what a sound man he was! He told me I can come up and park on his land anytime! Brilliant!

Anyway, I unloaded the truck and headed down the road over the bridge, I turned right through some nettles where you could see others had been, I was following there tracks, ducking under branches, climbing over fences and also slipping on the mud! I wasnt too convinced this was the right place but as I walked past a big bush there it was! A great pool, And as soon as I spotted the pool a fish jumped! 


I tied on a neat little size 14 adams dry fly, I had 10-12 casts (and a dozen tangles also!) But the fish werent interested at all! There was plenty jumping around me! Infact a huge one jumped right out the water, Well I say huge, it was around the 2lb mark lol. I remembered I had purchased some Turn On Strike Indicators from Orvis, So I though id sample a one with a Hares Ear Nympth, I had no luck with this either, I decided to try a few other pools further down stream, passing a couple of other fisherman on my way who had also had "no luck"


I went back to the first pool where I seen the fish jumping, I thought sod it! Ill try a little Olive (Size 14)


 First cast SPLASH! The fish went for it but I missed it!, A few casts later I seen the fish jump for other flies, I tried my best to aim it just past the splash and the line just sped through the air and a perfectly straight line and leader placed on the water, The fly delicately placed exactly where I wished, A split second later! I had a take! I kept hold of my line and striked! I had it! Landed this little beauty! 


This small fish has really made my day!, My first fish on a dry fly up on the picturesque River Derwent! 


Having only spent 3 hours fishing today, I am more than pleased!
Thank you for reading folks, Looking forward to another trip in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment