Monday 29 April 2013

Fly Fishing on the River Tyne

The sun was shining and the wind was becoming weaker and weaker by the minute.. So I decided to have a splash on my local River Tyne.

So I stocked up my Airflo Outlander Vest with all my essentials :  3lb Tippet, 5lb Tapered Leaders, Line Snips, Fly Floatant (An essential!), Catch and release tool, Rod Licence, Sunglasses and attached my landing net onto my back! Not forgetting my rod and waders of course! (Orvis Streamline 8'6") (Bison Breathable Chest Waders) - These waders are a great piece of kit! £105 (Incl Delivery) for Bison Breathable Chest Waders + free boots.

I headed down to my local river which is the River Tyne, Corbridge. There is a great free stretch there 150m of water! A great spot for a beginner such as myself!

As I arrived I stood for a good 10mins to see if i could see any fish rising, the wind was still blowing so it was a little difficult telling if there was any rises or not! The time was 7:30pm.. I couldnt see any flies either so I gambled and put on a Grey Duster since these had great reviews online! I headed into the water after applying floatant and attaching my Grey Duster. I had a few little bites but nothing major, It was now 8pm and the wind had dropped drastically! And I could see flies hovering on top of the water and there was hundreds of little fish rising for them! I went for one after the other and just as I was about to give up hope, I felt a tug! I striked and pulled in my first fish on the River Tyne, It was a very small (around 6 1/2inch) wild brown trout! the colours were amazing, I admired the little bugger and then set it free again!

I did not get the chance to take a picture of the little beauty, BUT!, My girlfriend arrived and caught me in action!


No comments:

Post a Comment