Tuesday 30 April 2013

Fly Fishing on the River Derwent (Trip 1)

The sun is out again!, I couldnt wait to get out onto the water.

I was a little late out this morning as I was suffering from a heavy 6-1 defeat to Aston Villa!, Following Sunderland will be the death of me, anyway lets talk about my fishing trip!

I have been purchasing Day Permit's from Allensford Caravan Park to fish on the River Derwent, The scenery is out of this world, I have taken some pictures for you folk but they dont do it much justice you must have a look up there, you dont have to fish there was alot of walkers/dog walkers, and very friendly they were too.

I pulled up in a neat little car park and unloaded the truck, Got my gear on and headed over a bridge (which looked brand new!) I looked left and right to see which way I should go, I decided to go right, I past a couple of dog walkers and give them a friendly hello, I spotted a small path leading to the waters edge, I was amazed at what I saw! look how clear the water is!



















I love this place!. I tied on a neat little Midge Fly on and began casting! I couldnt see any fish rising for a good couple of hours, I headed further down stream taking in the scenery, I found another cute little spot the only problem was there was a couple of dog walkers with 3 dogs! Throwing sticks into the water! now im no grump but ha'way! is there any need to have 3 dogs???.. Anyway I walked past them and said "hello" but it wasnt a very friendly one! I continued down stream until I found another spot, This one had alot of rocks to stand on and some rapids! I had a few casts there also but still no luck!!

I turned around and there was an old gentlemen watching, I gave the fella a wave and he came down for a chat, he asked me, as every person does "caught anything?" to which is replied "aye! that tree behind you!" we shared a giggle and I began to question him about this location, He spoke very highly of it but had told me to turn around and I should of headed LEFT after the bridge instead of RIGHT!.

I turned around following his instructions and went to the other side of the bridge, I spotted a fishermen! This is always a good sign, I headed towards him but he musn't of seen or heard me coming, he was sitting on the rocks roll casting into a pool, I was right next to him and I plonked my arse down next to him! He got such a freight! Never met the bloke in my life, He was a friendly old fella called Harry, He said he had no luck either but there was one jumping in front of us every 5mins! I had a cuppa (I always carry a flask of tea on me!) and had a chat, I then headed further upstream and I spotted a great spot near a weir! But still no fish rising!.

Then all of a sudden I seen one jump! I casted and casted for a good half an hour and it just didnt fancy my fly! So I headed back to where I met Harry, He had gone so I had a go in his spot, that fish was still jumping just a few yards away! that didnt fancy my fly either, I was there for a good hour and a half.

I had no luck today but it was another great day out, I was there a good 5 hours! weather was perfect and I met a great bloke!.


A couple more pictures of the River Derwent and a little snap below of my essentials! (also a little view of my finger??)

Cheers guys, hopefully my next report will include a fish! or 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment